Did you know that hiring house cleaners can help older adults stay safe at home as they age? It’s one of the easiest ways for an older relative in the Mount Prospect area to maintain their independence.
The Center for Disease Control reports one in four people age 65 and older falls each year. Injury-related deaths caused by a fall are the number one causes of deaths in older adults.
The good news is there are ways to prevent falls. Keep reading to learn how.
The Leading Cause of In-Home Falls
Aging doesn’t cause falls. Yet, issues like poor vision, dizziness, slippery floors, loose rugs, uneven surfaces, or muscle weakness do. Most falls happen because of a combination of risk factors.
Many issues can be improved and removed by hiring house cleaners. Have them declutter and maintain the home so the risk of falls is reduced or eliminated. A cleaning service handles dangerous chores like mopping, vacuuming, and deep cleaning.
It’s never too soon to take action to make a home more safe. Let’s look at the removal of hazards.
What is the Real Risk of a Fall?
Take a look around the home for obvious problems. Falls can happen anywhere, but they happen most often at home. Look for uneven floors, broken or damaged steps, cluttered walkways, and poor lighting. Left alone, a bad situation can get worse.
In addition to the home’s condition, pay attention to your health. Are your shoes safe? Is your eyeglass prescription up-to-date? Do you have balance issues? Do you need an assistive device to walk? If your Mount Prospect home is more than one level, are you capable of climbing the stairs alone?
A Maid Service Helps Facilitate Independent Living
Most falls happen at home. Take the following precautions so you can live independently for as long as possible. Here are important ways to reduce hazards.
- Remove clutter and small furniture that blocks walkways inside and outside the house
- Put away pet gear, electrical cords, old bags, jackets, shoes, and mail if they can be tripped over
- Secure or remove throw rugs
- Clean up spills immediately
- Add non-slip adhesive strips to stairs
- Repair broken or uneven steps
- Put non-skid mats or appliques in the bathtub or shower
- Install grab bars in the bath and toilet areas
- Add railings to both sides of the stairs
- Increase lighting, especially on stairs and in hallways
- Put nightlights in the bathroom, hallways, and kitchen
- If an item is used often, make it easy to reach. Food, clothing, and medicines should be close at hand. End the need for a step ladder.
- Get a cane or walker if balance is an issue
Hire a Professional Maid Service Today
As people age, they have a higher risk of falling. Yet, many falls can be prevented by engaging a company to keep the home clean. When someone else does the heavy lifting and mops the floors, you’ll be safer.
Hiring Hour Maid is an easy, inexpensive way to extend the time you can live independently at home.
Contact Hour Maid today. Get a free estimate, or arrange cleaning services for your Mount Prospect area home. We look forward to helping you stay safe at home.